11.09.2010

made for this.



In the spring of 1987 I was in the 8th grade & Blake, a cute, older boy who lived down the street, invited me to something called ‘YoungerLife.’
I had no idea what he was talking about & because I had not quite learned the equation of cute boy + invitation = say yes, I did not accept his invite.
But thanks to good friends I did end up going & I truly believe this is one of the major events that shaped the course of my life {& no, it’s not because of the cute boy, I actually don’t recall seeing Blake again}.
YoungerLife was simply an introduction to YoungLife.
YoungLife is an outreach ministry to middle school, high school & college age kids & I have spent the past 23 years involved with this amazing organization in some way.
In high school I was a YoungLife club kid & went to weekly gatherings as well as Campaigners which is a Bible study {not a time to campaign for local political issues which is what I initially thought it was!}.
YoungLife helped me realize that this God thing is an everyday thing, a personal relationship not just something to be found at church on Sunday mornings.
I spent one of the ‘best weeks of my life’ as a high school camper at Frontier Ranch, one of YoungLife’s camps in Colorado {a mere 7 miles from my home now}.
During the week I rode horses, rappelled down a cliff, square danced, learned more about this amazing God that loves me no matter what & got bit by the camping ministry bug.
In college I was a volunteer leader & helped put on the very same types of gatherings that I attended in high school.
During the summer months I volunteered at Frontier Ranch.
After college I took a summer internship at YoungLife’s family camp, Trail West.
I thought I would be at Trail West just for the summer but I’m still there & that was 15 years ago.
I even met my husband through Young Life, guess I finally figured out that equation!
So tonight as I head to our local area’s annual fundraising banquet I am thankful for the ministry of Young Life.
I’m thankful for all the Blakes, Mallorys, Jaces, Leslies, Randys, Petes & countless others that are reaching out to kids in mighty ways, earning the right to be heard that they might have the opportunity to share of the hope found in life with Jesus.
I'm thankful that YoungLife has played such an amazing role in my own story.
ps. Don’t forget about the sparklestudio giveaway!
Visit Jamies Precious Peas to enter!

1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful for Young Life too! I cannot imagine what my life would be like if my heart hadn't been touched through that ministry!

    ReplyDelete